At ion interactive, we love digital marketing. But we also love creating experiences, online or otherwise, that will open doors. Most recently, our sales and marketing team, focused on creating a meaningful direct piece that will create conversations. For those that say direct mail is passé, I say think again. Direct mail can open doors for sales and marketing that have previously been closed. The key is doing it in a meaningful and relevant way. This is important - direct mail is no different than any other channel. You must create an experience that resonates, allows you to stand out, and focuses on how you can help your customer or prospect. Here’s how:
- Be creative. Don’t just send a postcard. If that target prospect or customer is a valuable opportunity you want to get in front of, it’s important to be creative in how you approach it. Think themed packages or product gifts that tie to customer successes.
- Be targeted. Don’t send to the masses. Direct mail shouldn’t be a “one-size-fits” all and creating a target audience allows you to customize the message and content. Relevancy is important – and may mean the difference between getting voicemail again and getting someone who’s excited to speak with you.
- Be personalized. Don’t forget to send a note. Create a personalized experience with a quick note that introduces yourself, promises on follow-up, and begins the relationship.
- Be actionable. Don’t leave them wondering “what next”. Create the “next step” for your prospect or customer with a call-to-action that leads them down a unique experience.
We took the following four key elements listed above and created a direct mail piece that created conversations with prospects that we’ve been attempting to open for quite some time. We called it the conversion breakfast. It included the following:
- ConversionO’s. Our package begins with a box of ion branded cereal that focuses on the key ingredients to driving conversions with landing page optimization.
- Cereal Bowl & Spoon. We didn’t want to be the company that sent cereal without a bowl and spoon.
- Personalize Notecard. Our notecard is simple, focused, to the point and allows room for personalization from the sales organization.
These items were packaged and sent to targeted prospects that we wanted to start a conversation with. I’m going to repeat, this is a conversation starter, not a deal closer. How do we measure our success? By the number of companies we’ve created meetings with that previously didn’t have the time to talk landing page optimization. To date, that’s 14% of our targeted send. We’re happy with the success to date - it provided an opportunity at a conversation that would have previously been out of reach.